We’re committed to fighting to make the tenants of the Youth Agenda policy platform a reality. The principles encompassed in and policies driven by the Youth Agenda are grounded in abolitionist, racial justice and apply an intersectional approach to driving equitable change.
For the New Era Colorado, the Youth Agenda is a measure to hold ourselves and our leaders accountable. The policy platform will align our organization with young people’s vision of the world and evaluate how decision-makers and elected officials are holding up against young people’s demands. We will use the Youth Agenda to decide how we push for change on the issues that matter the most to young people.
Through policymaking, organizing, and civic engagement, we will lead and support advocacy efforts on:
- Climate Justice: We will protect our environment and dismantle racist policies that disproportionately impact the health and well-being of Black, Indigenous, Latine and Hispanic, Asian American and Pacific Islander communities.
- Reproductive Rights: We will cement a person’s ability to make autonomous decisions for their reproductive health and create a culture for reproductive care free, from fear or stigma and surrounded by dignity and support, in Colorado.
- Higher Education & Student Debt: We will make attending post-secondary learning more accessible and affordable for everyone, regardless of their income, race, ethnicity, gender, or citizenship status.
- Economic Justice: We will make it possible for everyone to have financial stability, regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, citizenship, or income. We believe corporations should pay what they owe to build a strong social infrastructure to meet everyone’s basic needs.
- Democracy Reform: We will make sure that everyone can participate in our democratic processes. We will reform systems so that the needs of all people are represented and advocate for policies that improve voting access for young people, especially young Black, Indigenous, Latine/Hispanic, and Asian American and Pacific Islander Coloradans.
If we’re not taking a forward stance on an issue, we’ll be supporting the work of our partners. This could look like using our organizing power and mobilizing force to support policies and campaigns in alignment with the Youth Agenda or educating young people about the intersectional nature and impacts of these issues.
- Health Care & Mental Health
- LGBTQ Rights and Gender Experssion
- Immigrant Rights
- Criminal Justice
Need a version of the platform to take into the field? Download it here!