Now Hiring: 2020 Youth Vote Organizers
December 11, 2019
Build power for young people, advance abortion access, and drive record turnout for 2020! (Full-time and part-time positions available in: Boulder, Denver)
*With potential positions opening up in Fort Collins soon!
Preferred start date is January 13th but we have some flexibility for several of these open positions. Use this google form to submit your application materials (application questions + your resume). The priority deadline is January 10th, but this position will be open until filled and will be removed from our website once it is filled (if the posting is still up, you can and should still apply!). No phone calls please.
About the Position
New Era Colorado is seeking full and part-time field organizers to educate and engage thousands of young voters in order to build power for young people, advance abortion access, and drive record turnout for 2020 through registration and turnout. With several recent legislative wins under our belt, historic youth turnout in the 2018 elections, and a huge year on the horizon, we have incredible momentum to make a powerful impact in 2020. The 2020 election will be one of the most important elections of our lifetime with so much at stake and on the line. Our humanity, dignity, and the safety and well-being of our communities are on the ballot in 2020 and we envision young people as a driving force for change, as members of the largest, most diverse, most progressive generation in history.
In this position you’ll start by working on a team to educate and engage young people on abortion access, specifically abortion later in pregnancy, through on-the-ground field organizing and phone banking, while recruiting and training energetic teams of volunteers and supporters. Across the country, abortion bans have been impacting the most marginalized and in 2020, we have the opportunity to educate young voters on this issue to counter the harmful rhetoric and dangerous myths while cultivating empathy and understanding. There is power in our generation, and together we need to use it to win progress on the issues impacting us and fight back against bigotry, hate, oppression, and injustice. Later in the spring and into the fall, we’ll put youth voter registration front and center, registering tens of thousands of young voters so that they get a ballot in the mail this fall—and then we’ll stay with them until they cast their ballot.
This is a temporary position that goes through November 13, 2020 that will include work on several integrally connected campaigns including abortion access, voter registration, and Get out the Vote (GOTV).
About New Era
New Era is the leading voice for young people in Colorado politics and one of the most effective youth civic engagement organizations in the country. We work to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to advance progressive change. We’ve registered 200,000 young people to vote and driven record young voter turnout. We organize to advance economic justice, abortion rights, climate action, and election access. Along the way, we’ve passed student debt relief and young voter access legislation, made two viral videos (This Is Why We Vote; Campaign for Local Power), and eaten ~1 million pizzas.
We are early on a journey to embed equity and inclusion in our organization’s day-to-day and DNA, and to transform into a truly anti-racist organization. For us, this means working to authentically centering the experiences and leadership of young people of color in our program work; dismantling white supremacy within our organizational systems, policies and culture, and rebuilding anew; and ensuring that we have a thriving, diverse team of staff and board members advancing our mission. We expect all staff to engage enthusiastically in this work.
Our team is deeply dedicated to social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo (and turn it into a Slack emoji) and we hope you have an HBO login to share. We truly believe in the power of young people. Get to know us: Our website | Our Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Identify Abortion Access Supporters | Work on a voter education campaign to build a base of supporters for abortion later in pregnancy through daily phonebanks, trainings, on campus events, door-to-door canvassing, and other tactics in order to meet young people where they are at and identify supporters for abortion access, especially abortion later in pregnancy.
- Drive Record Turnout | Register thousands of voters and regularly engage in face-to-face conversations with young people on college campuses, through door knocking, and community events. Maintain a regular presence by tabling on college campuses up to 3 times a week ( 4 times a week beginning in the fall).
- Build Power | Maintain a base of actively engaged volunteer leaders who can educate and organize their peers around abortion later in pregnancy through recruitment, regular communication/outreach, and training.
What we’re looking for
- A Commitment to Equitable Abortion Access | Demonstrates a deep commitment to advancing access to abortion in an inclusive manner, including abortion later in pregnancy, and recognizes that barriers to access have disporportionate impacts on marginalized communities
- Commitment to New Era and young people’s ability to build power | Demonstrates enthusiasm for the mission of New Era, the issues we work on (climate, abortion rights, election access, and economic justice), and our theory of change
- Enthusiastic about field work and organizing | A passion for engaging young people face-to-face on college campuses and in the community, through regular tabling and organizing. Demonstrated willingness to recruit and form relationships with young people, build volunteers into leaders, and create a respectful, inclusive political home for young people
- Resourceful and highly organized problem solver who is a strong owner of the work | Demonstrated ability to be a strong owner of their work, show strong initiative in making improvements to our work, set high standards for individual and team performance, work and problem solve independently
- Flexible and Adaptable | Demonstrated ability to work in a flexible and fast-paced environment with constantly changing circumstances, rapidly moving parts, and longer hours. Ability and willingness to work nontraditional hours, including evenings and weekends as needed, to meet young people where they are and when they’re free
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion | A deep commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through and within our organization and a demonstrated ability to think critically about your own identity and work respectfully and collaboratively across different identities – especially racial identities
Please note: we care more about your desire to do the work than whether you have formal or informal experience. We do not require formal education or organizing experience. We encourage you to submit your application if this job excites you!
Position Details, Compensation and Benefits
We are hiring for multiple full-time positions across the state. The positions are based out of New Era’s Boulder or Denver offices, with travel along the Front Range. Salary range is 34k annualized, commensurate with experience. Benefits include healthcare (medical, dental, and vision; employer pays 75% of the premium) and paid time off. For those seeking part-time positions, the pay is $16 an hour. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis. New Era Colorado Foundation and New Era Colorado Action Fund are equal opportunity employers. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.