NOW HIRING: 2020 Youth Vote Organizers
December 6, 2019
UPDATED AUGUST 20, 2020
(Full & part-time positions available. Hiring on a rolling basis now & throughout the summer!)
New Era Colorado is seeking enthusiastic, dedicated people to join our team across the state to help us register and turn out thousands of young voters this year across Colorado! The next generation of Coloradans is the largest and most diverse in our history, and if you’d like to join the fight to amplify our voices and build our political power, you should apply!
This position involves meeting young people where they’re at, in the digital world and safely in-person, to register as many young people as we can, get them registered to vote safely, and turn them out. You’ll be on a team of committed, passionate folks, having truthful and important conversations about our political system with young people, many of whom belong to communities who have been systematically shut out of the political process. You’ll drive our voter registration, education, and turnout efforts, while working with volunteers to maximize our impact. You’d be a great fit if you’re passionate about social justice, if you’ve got the energy to talk to hundreds of young people in a day, and if you’re determined to hit ambitious goals.
COVID-19 + New Era
Here at New Era Colorado, we prioritize the safety and wellbeing of our staff and our communities. Beginning in mid-March, we stepped back from our face-to-face fieldwork, and have since made the decision to return to in-person field work with heavy safety protocol, with safety and wellbeing as our #1 priority. We’ve spent the last few months carefully planning our protocol and securing the PPE needed to get back to doing what we do best: showing up for Colorado’s young people.
We will continue to meet young people where they’re at in the digital world through online voter registration, phonebanking, texting, relational organizing, and more. We will continue to hire 2020 Election Organizers and Fellows as needed & on a rolling basis to drive our remote civic engagement and advocacy forward.
We encourage you to apply for these teams, and we commit to transparency and proactive communication throughout this process. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions.
New Era Colorado is working to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We register and turn out thousands of young voters every year, we work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change, and we train hundreds of young leaders to create change. We’ve registered more than 190,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, given out more than 60,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?), and made two viral videos (This Is Why We Vote; Campaign for Local Power). Our team is deeply dedicated to social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. Get to know us: Our website | Our Facebook.
- Participate in phonebanks regularly (multiple times a week) to call young people across the state to build the movement against Initiative 115, a ballot initative that would ban abortion later in pregnancy if passed.
- Engage in a wide variety of digital organizing tactics, including virtual voter registration drives, relational organizing, and texting. Collaborate on team projects that advance our voter registration, turnout, and issues advocacy goals.
- On an opt-in basis, work on a city team to execute a large-scale voter registration program reaching young people, particularly young people of color. Your team will engage voters on college campuses and in the community, with strict safety protocol and tons of PPE.
- You will engage young people in presentation-style format in their classrooms, as well as through tabling
- Coordinate with fellow organizing staff, school faculty, and event organizers to find creative ways to maximize the impact of our voter registration drives during each event.
- Occasionally travel across the Front Range, with the possibility of overnight travel to other communities across the state.
- For our applicants to our Western team, overnight travel and distance traveling should be expected, in order to reach our rural Colorado communities.
What we’re looking for:
- Deep commitment to New Era’s mission of engaging more young people in our democracy and empowering young people to make themselves heard; enthusiasm for voting rights, registration, and turnout
- Ability to sensitively and productively navigate tough conversations about voter eligibility, power and privilege, and people’s lived experiences that differ from your own, while being mindful of the potential to cause harm
- Strong personal commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our work and our organization’s culture
- Determination to meet daily and monthly goals by registering as many as hundreds of young people in a day to vote, while paying close attention to detail to ensure each registration form is complete and accurate
- Willingness to work nontraditional hours on a regular basis (a typical high school early morning + travel, weekend community events, etc.)
- Flexibility and adaptability as we navigate the COVID-19 epidemic and regularly adjust our programs and plans
Preferred, but not required:
- Reliable transportation and a driver’s license
- Spanish language skills
Please note: we care more about your desire to do the work than whether you have formal or informal experience. We do not require formal education experience. We encourage you to submit your application if this job excites you!
We are looking for full time and part-time applicants. Candidates will be interviewed and hired on a rolling basis. Positions will end shortly after the November election. Interviews and hiring will take place on a rolling basis.
- Positions on the Boulder team are based out of New Era’s Boulder office, with travel along the Front Range and the possibility of overnight trips. All positions will be reporting to New Era’s Boulder Organizing Manager, based out of Boulder.
- Positions on the Northern team are based out of New Era’s Fort Collins office, with travel along the Front Range and the possibility of overnight trips. All positions will be reporting to New Era’s Northern Lead Organizer, based out of Fort Collins.
- Positions on the Western team will be travel based; the team will travel to communities across the Western Slope and will be provided lodging. All positions will be reporting to New Era’s Western Lead Organizer, based out of Durango.
- Please check back later if you are interested in a position on our Denver team- we are currently not hiring additional organizers for our Denver team, but that could change!
Salary is $34,000 annualized. Healthcare and paid time off contingent upon length of employment. For those seeking part-time positions, the pay is $16 an hour.
New Era Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees and LGBTQ people to apply.
Use this Google Form to submit your resume. Cover letters or other supplementary writing is 100% optional; if there are things not reflected in your resume that you’d like to share with us, please feel free to attach that, but you will not be penalized in the hiring process for not including a cover letter or supplementary writing.
These positions will be open until filled (if the posting is still up, you can and should still apply!). No phone calls please.