New Era Colorado Foundation and New Era Colorado Action Fund are seeking a full-time Denver Lead Organizer to organize young people to advance our issue campaigns and voter engagement work. This individual coordinates our leadership development programs, grassroots issue campaigns, and our voter engagement work during major election years as well. We are looking for a committed and resourceful individual who is passionate about social justice and young people’s ability to create change, and is enthusiastic about organizing. This position is charged with engaging young people in advancing all of our organizing work, whether it is on an issue campaign at the legislature, a ballot measure, or our voter engagement work. Overall, the Denver Lead Organizer is a core member of our team with significant leadership in driving our work in the city.
This is a crucial moment for today’s young people, who are members of the largest, most diverse, most progressive generation in history. There is power in our generation, and together we need to use it to win progress on the issues impacting us. That’s why our ideal candidate is passionate about mobilizing young people to advance progressive issues, has experience working with diverse and underrepresented communities, is enthusiastic about building political power for young people and translating that power into meaningful victories, and has the enthusiasm to talk to hundreds of young people in a day to register them to vote or get them involved. This position requires a determination to hit goals, resourcefulness, and strong management of multiple projects with significant attention to detail.
About New Era
New Era Colorado is working to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We register and turn out thousands of young voters every year, we work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change, and we train hundreds of young leaders to create change. We’ve registered more than 150,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, given out more than 60,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?), and made two viral videos (This Is Why We Vote; Campaign for Local Power). Our team is deeply dedicated to social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo. We regularly communicate using gifs. Very few of us were cool in high school. We truly believe in the power of young people. Get to know us: Our website | Our Facebook.
- Organizing young people to join and lead our issue organizing campaigns, especially around economic justice and specifically student debt reform. Recruit, engage and train supporters to drive the campaigns forward. Responsible for meeting all relevant goals, objectives and priorities in Denver. Play a significant role in all grassroots lobbying activities in Denver, and engage interns and volunteers in Colorado’s legislative session through delivering testimony, attending committee hearings, and lobbying. This includes regularly being in the field talking face-to-face with young people, largely on college campuses.
- Build and manage a base of volunteers for the Denver program. Engage volunteers in driving our organizing and voter registration campaigns forward, including through recruitment, relationship building, regular communication/outreach, training, events, management, and plugging volunteers into leadership opportunities.
- Lead the execution of large-scale, volunteer-driven voter registration drives and turnout programs targeting young voters in Denver in major election years (including all aspects of voter registration, phone banks, canvasses, voter guide distribution, etc). This includes hiring and managing a team of 3-6 organizers in 2020. Maintain a regular presence at college campuses, community events and festivals.
- Lead the Denver section of our spring, summer and fall leadership development programs, recruiting and training a diverse class of interns to learn about organizing and gain hands-on field experience. Lead their classroom sessions, coordinate their field work, and support their development and training. Work closely with the Senior Organizing Manager on the program strategy, goals, and development.
- Pitch in for “all hands on deck” efforts and other areas of the organization occasionally—including (but not limited to!) the Boulder program, our high school voter registration work, and fundraising efforts.
Here’s a list of knowledge/skills/qualities that our ideal candidate would possess:
- Deep commitment to New Era’s mission and to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through and within our organization. A determination to engage young people in tackling the issues facing our generation, including economic and racial justice, climate change, and reproductive justice.
- Passion for increasing participation and leadership among young people of color, and someone who has a commitment to advancing diversity, inclusion, and equity through every aspect of work we do. As we’re working to expand our ability to engage young people of color and to make our own organization equitable and inclusive, we are looking for a candidate who has a strong commitment to these values (including fostering a collaborative and empowering work culture).
- A passion for and experience with engaging people face-to-face on campuses, in the community, through tabling, meetings, and other grassroots tactics,. A strong ability to maintain all relationships through clear, professional communications as well as 100% follow-through and responsiveness.
- Strategic, creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills & analytical ability (you’ve got ideas, big and small, for how we can better achieve our goals and you regularly troubleshoot your plans and adjust accordingly).
- Self-starter who shows strong initiative in making improvements to our work, sets high standards for individual and team performance, and is committed to constant improvement of yourself and the organization.
- Highly organized (seriously) & detail-oriented, with proven ability to effectively and independently manage projects with many moving parts to produce high-quality results in a timely manner.
- Ability and willingness to work nontraditional hours, including evenings and weekends as needed, to meet young people where they are and when they’re free.
- Reliable transportation and a driver’s license strongly preferred.
Please note: we care more about your talent, desire to do the work, and your drive and ability to improve every day than whether you have formal or informal experience. We do not require formal education experience. We encourage you to submit your application if this job excites you!
This is a full-time, permanent position based out of New Era’s Denver office reporting to the Senior Organizing Manager. New Era provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage (with 75% of the premium covered by the employer), a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with a match of up to 3% after 1 year of employment, an annual RTD Ecopass (free public transit!), paid sick and vacation time, a paid sabbatical after 5 continuous years of employment, an annual professional development budget, and enough pizza during election times to make you stop liking pizza for a few months. Salary range is high 30s to mid 40s annualized, commensurate with experience.
New Era Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees and LGBTQ people to apply.
Use this Google Form to submit your application materials. In your cover letter, please describe why you want to do this job in particular at New Era, and how you found out about the position. The priority deadline is November 30th, but this position will be open until filled and will be removed from our website once it is filled (if the posting is still up, you can and should still apply!). No phone calls please.