For a pdf version of this job description go here.
We are seeking a full-time Data Manager to work across all aspects of our organization to maximize our effectiveness through strategic data management and analysis. In this role, you’ll build out internal data systems for our organizing, voter registration, fundraising and communications work, and provide strategic direction and management for data usage across all departments, platforms and tactics. This individual will work with our staff to use data to improve our work, drive integration of all of our data systems across departments, and set our data entry, collection and management standards. Whether it’s creating the systems that empower our organizers to quickly follow up with the young people they’ve engaged in the field, coordinating lists and targeting for our statewide voter turnout programs, managing the backend of statewide our voter registration drives, analyzing young voter turnout trends, or ensuring our online actions are reaching the right audiences, you’ll play a key role in nearly every aspect of the work we’re doing. We’re looking for a detail-oriented, strategic thinker who can build easy-to-use systems in response to organizational needs and connect different data uses across departments. If you’re very comfortable using Excel/Google Spreadsheets, you’re a systems thinker, and you can juggle multiple high priority projects at once, we strongly encourage you to apply! We can’t wait to have you on board to take our work to the next level.
About New Era
New Era Colorado is working to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We register and turn out thousands of young voters every year, we work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change, and we train hundreds of young leaders to create change. We’ve registered more than 150,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, given out more than 60,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?), and made two viral videos (This Is Why We Vote; Campaign for Local Power). Our team is deeply dedicated to social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo. We’re fluent in gifs. Very few of us were cool in high school. We truly believe in the power of young people. Get to know us: Our website | Our Facebook.
- Building and enhancing efficient, user-friendly systems: Create an organized, user-friendly, efficient set of systems and workflows that integrate smoothly and allow us to maximize our effectiveness in our organizing, fundraising and communications. This includes: owning system design for data entry/management, program tracking and analysis, configuration and use of our databases (NGP, VAN, etc), building connections between data sets and systems, and quality control.
- Providing the data management to make our work happen: Drive and execute all targeting, data cleaning, and more for field and communications programs, including voter turnout, regular volunteer outreach, and ongoing organizing efforts (online and offline)—including phone bank list creation/maintenance/monitoring, voter guide mailing lists, mailer lists, digital targeting, mailing lists, text message lists, etc…Execute data-heavy components of our work, including text message and list building.
- Support team members’ data usage: Support and empower all teams to use our data efficiently and effectively by providing strategic direction, troubleshooting, training, manuals, list pulling and maintenance for data usage across all departments, platforms and tactics.
- Voter registration quality control and election year management: Manage and execute all voter registration form processing, scanning and quality control processes and systems. In major election years when there is a higher volume of forms, manage other staff members’ involvement in this process. In major election years, oversee our entire data entry operation (including hiring, etc).
- Data analysis: Regularly analyze the work that we’re doing and impact we’re having through field data, voter data, and more, identifying trends and areas for improvement. Analyze data collection efforts, program outcomes, etc on a regular basis.
What we’re looking for
- Strategic and analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills. Ideally, you can continuously enhance the effectiveness of our systems and tactics to ensure we’re moving efficiently towards the right goals, you troubleshoot your plans relentlessly, and you can translate organizational needs into clear systems.
- A strong interest in numbers, efficiency, and orderliness—ideally you get immense satisfaction from taking a million moving pieces and putting them in place, and you have ideas for how to make our systems flexible and user-friendly.
- High level of comfort with spreadsheets (Excel and/or Google Spreadsheets—we use Google for the most part, but Excel skills will translate well), and comfort teaching yourself new ways to use spreadsheets.
- Highly organized (seriously) & detail-oriented, with ability to effectively manage projects with many moving parts (and datasets with tens of thousands of rows) to produce high-quality results in a timely manner.
- Self-starter who shows strong initiative, sets high standards for individual and team performance, and is committed to constantly improving upon every aspect of our work.
- Deep commitment to New Era’s mission and a determination to engage young people in tackling the issues facing our generation, including economic and racial justice, climate change, and reproductive justice.
- Work style that is flexible, respectful, collaborative and nimble; brings a commitment to maintaining a supportive, empowering work culture. As we’re working to advance diversity, inclusivity and equity within our organization and through our work, a commitment to advancing these three principles is a must.
- Positive and solutions-oriented—we need people who can celebrate the great things we have, see the places we can improve, and come up with specific ways to help make those changes happen.
- Bonus points for any of the following: Experience with VAN, NGP, database management, advanced data analysis and management techniques especially as they related to field/campaign organizing.
Please note: What we care most about is that you are a strategic thinker, comfortable with spreadsheets, and eager to continue to learn how to be amazing at this job. If you’ve got some of this but not all of it, we’d still encourage you to submit your application!
This is a full-time, permanent position that can be based out of New Era’s Denver office (We’d consider our Boulder office as the base for the right candidate), reporting to the Organizing Director. New Era provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage (with 75% of the premium covered by the employer), a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with a match of up to 3% after 1 year of employment, an annual RTD Ecopass (free public transit!), paid sick and vacation time, a paid sabbatical after 5 continuous years of employment, an annual professional development budget, and enough pizza during election times to make you stop liking pizza for a few months. Salary range is low to mid 40s, commensurate with experience.
New Era Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees & LGBTQ people to apply.
Use this Google Form to submit your application materials. In your cover letter, please describe why you want to do this job in particular at New Era, and how you found out about the position. The priority deadline is November 30th, but this position will be open until filled and will be removed from our website once it is filled (if the posting is still up, you can and should still apply!). No phone calls please.