New Era Colorado Foundation and New Era Colorado Action Fund are seeking a full-time Civic Engagement Program Manager to manage and grow several of our young voter engagement efforts, including our growing high school registration program and our civic engagement partnerships. This person will be a key leader in our civic engagement programming, and will be responsible for high-level program planning, strategy development, relationship and outreach management, and hiring/managing of organizers. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly organized, professional individual with great attention to detail to lead established field organizing programs to mobilize young people, with a focus on young people of color, to participate in our democracy in Colorado.
About New Era
New Era Colorado is working to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We are one of the largest organizations of our kind in the country, and register and turn out tens of thousands of young voters across Colorado. We work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change, and train hundreds of young leaders to create change. We’ve registered more than 180,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, given out more than 60,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?), and made two viral videos (This Is Why We Vote; Campaign for Local Power). New Era is of young people, by young people, for all people. Our team is deeply dedicated to social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo. Very few of us were cool in high school. We truly believe in the power of young people. Get to know us: Our website | Our Facebook.
- (75%) High school registration program planning, strategy, and management | Develop and implement an annual plan for New Era’s high school voter registration program to grow the program’s reach and maximize the number of young people—especially young people of color—that we register, engage and turn out to vote.
- Drive overall program success and program innovations, and set/track all program goals. Work closely with other departments to leverage program analysis and materials to advance New Era’s organizational goals.
- Lead outreach, school visit scheduling, organizer hiring/management, and relationship building/cultivation for the high school registration program, including coordination with partner organizations as well as partnerships with school leadership and teachers.
- (20%) Grow our civic engagement partnerships with community colleges, organizations and local businesses | Develop partnerships to grow the reach of our civic engagement program, prioritizing community colleges in the Denver-metro area. Own civic engagement partnerships with local businesses, including cultivation, program planning, and relationship management.
- (5%) Organizational and team leadership and collaboration | Contribute to the advancement of the shared goals of the organization and the field team, collaborating and leading on projects as needed—including collaboration with communications, data and fundraising staff.
What we’re looking for
- Deep commitment to New Era’s mission and to advancing the organization’s goals; determination to tackle the issues facing our generation, including economic and racial justice, climate change, election access, and reproductive justice.
- Passion for increasing civic participation among young people of color, and someone who has a commitment to advancing diversity, inclusion, and equity through every aspect of work we do. As we’re working to expand our ability to engage young people of color and to make our own organization equitable and inclusive, we are looking for a candidate who has a strong commitment to these values (including fostering a collaborative and empowering work culture).
- Someone who is prepared and able to build relationships with and instill confidence among administrators, teachers, partners, businesses and more. A strong ability to maintain all relationships through clear, professional communications (written and oral) as well as 100% follow-through and responsiveness.
- Strategic, creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills & analytical ability (you’ve got ideas, big and small, for how we can better achieve our goals and you regularly troubleshoot your plans and adjust accordingly).
- Self-starter who shows strong initiative, sets high standards for individual and team performance, and is committed to constantly improving upon every aspect of our work.
- Highly organized (seriously) & detail-oriented, with proven ability to effectively and independently manage projects with many moving parts to produce high-quality results in a timely manner.
- Willingness to work nontraditional hours (i.e., early mornings for high schools, evenings for field work, and sometimes weekend events). Long hours during election season are common.
- Strongly preferred but not required: reliable transportation and a driver’s license.
Please note: We care most about your ability to effectively manage a program through strong organizational skills, systems creation, and relationship building. If you’ve got some of this, but not all of it, we’d still encourage you to submit your application!
This is a full-time, permanent position based out of New Era’s Denver office, reporting to the Organizing Director. New Era provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage (with 75% of the premium covered by the employer), a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with a match of up to 3% after 1 year of employment, an annual RTD Ecopass (free public transit!), paid sick and vacation time, a paid sabbatical after 5 continuous years of employment, an annual professional development budget, and enough pizza during election times to make you stop liking pizza for a few months. Salary range is in the low 40s annualized, commensurate with experience.
Use this Google Form to submit your application materials. In your cover letter, please describe why you want to do this job in particular at New Era, and how you found out about the position. The priority deadline is November 30th, but this position will be open until filled and will be removed from our website once it is filled (if the posting is still up, you can and should still apply!). No phone calls please.
New Era Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees & LGBTQ people to apply.