For a pdf version of this job description go here.
New Era Colorado Foundation and New Era Colorado Action Fund are seeking a full-time Advocacy Organizer to help drive our abortion rights work in Colorado. This person will work with the Advocacy Manager to develop young leaders to drive innovative campaign work on their campuses, get creative with messaging and developing new, engaging tactics, and play a critical role in translating the momentum New Era builds at the ballot box into meaningful action on the biggest issues facing our generation. In this role, you’ll work side-by-side with student organizers in the field to drive the abortion rights work that we do on campus, talking with thousands of young people and activating their passions in order to mobilize support for proactive policy changes on campus and off. The Advocacy Organizer will work closely with New Era’s Advocacy Manager and Advocacy Director to oversee and execute high-impact campaigns, mobilize and empower young Coloradans to have their voices heard, manage a team of student organizing fellows on our abortion rights campaign, and implement creative ways to fundamentally shift the way our generation thinks and feels about abortion. Our ideal candidate is a highly organized and resourceful individual who is passionate about social justice, building power for young people, and especially solidifying our generation’s support for abortion rights.
About New Era Colorado
New Era Colorado is working to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We register and turn out thousands of young voters every year, we work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change, and we train hundreds of young leaders to create change. We’ve registered more than 150,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, given out more than 60,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?), and made two viral videos (This Is Why We Vote; Campaign for Local Power). Our team is deeply dedicated to social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo. We regularly communicate using gifs. Very few of us were cool in high school. We truly believe in the power of young people. Get to know us: Our website | Our Facebook.
- Team management and program execution | Manage part-time student organizers to execute a high-impact campus campaign to destigmatize abortion and elevate the leadership of young people—particularly young people of color—in the abortion rights movement in Colorado. Work directly with young leaders in the field to implement campaign tactics and help them improve skills and outcomes.
- Leadership development | Assist the Advocacy Manager in providing student organizing fellows on our abortion rights campaign with a set of skills trainings to build their organizing abilities and help them develop professionally in the nonprofit and political world. Provide feedback, management and coaching to improve confidence and performance, especially by organizing side by side with them on campus and providing ongoing support.
- Partnership development | Work with partner organizations on campuses to identify areas of collaboration, provide ongoing support, and network to build stronger movements overall.
- Progressive Organizing and Visibility | Help to drive New Era’s abortion destigmatization campaign through legislative advocacy, campus policy change, and campus work side-by-side student organizers.
- Organizational collaboration | Contribute to the advancement of the shared goals of the organization and the field team, collaborating and leading on projects as needed—including occasional collaboration with communications, data and fundraising staff.
What we’re looking for
- Deep commitment to New Era’s mission and to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through and within our organization. A determination to engage young people in tackling the issues facing our generation, including economic and racial justice, climate change, and reproductive justice.
- Passion for increasing participation and leadership among young people of color, and someone who has a commitment to advancing diversity, inclusion, and equity through every aspect of work we do. As we’re working to expand our ability to engage young people of color and to make our own organization equitable and inclusive, we are looking for a candidate who has a strong commitment to these values (including fostering a collaborative and empowering work culture).
- A passion for engaging people face-to-face on campuses, in the community, through tabling, meetings, and other grassroots tactics. A strong ability to maintain all relationships through clear, professional communications as well as 100% follow-through and responsiveness.
- Self-starter who shows strong initiative, sets high standards for individual and team performance, and is committed to constantly improving upon every aspect of our work.
- Highly organized (seriously) & detail-oriented, with proven ability to effectively and independently manage projects with many moving parts to produce high-quality results.
- Strongly preferred: Driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle, and willingness to travel to Boulder and Fort Collins several times a month in some seasons.
This is a full-time, permanent position based out of New Era’s Denver office, reporting to the Advocacy Manager. New Era provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage (with 75% of the premium covered by the employer), a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with a match of up to 3% after 1 year of employment, an annual RTD Ecopass (free public transit!), paid sick and vacation time, a paid sabbatical after 5 continuous years of employment, an annual professional development budget, and enough pizza during election times to make you stop liking pizza for a few months. Salary range is high 30s to low 40s, commensurate with experience.
Please complete our application which can be found here. In your cover letter, please describe why you want to do this job in particular at New Era. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No calls please.
New Era Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees & LGBTQ people to apply.