For a PDF version of this job description, click here.
(Positions available in Denver, Fort Collins, Durango)
New Era Colorado is seeking Lead Organizers to manage regional teams of organizers in Denver, Fort Collins and Durango (we’re hiring one per city). These are key leadership roles on our team that will be instrumental in driving young voter turnout in Colorado this year!
In this role, you will be responsible for ensuring the success of your team, and collectively will ensure the success of the organization’s voter registration goal (to register nearly 30,000 voters in 2018!) as well as our voter turnout program (helping young people navigate how to vote and what’s on the ballot). These individuals will be charged with building inclusive, motivated teams and strong plans that will hit ambitious field goals while engaging thousands of young voters along the way. All Lead Organizers will participate in leading the day-to-day management of their team.
This is a crucial moment for today’s young people, who are members of the largest, most diverse, most progressive generation in history. There is power in our generation, and together we need to use it to win progress on the issues impacting us. That’s why our ideal candidates are passionate about mobilizing young people to vote, have experience working with diverse and underrepresented communities, are enthusiastic about building political power for young people and translating that power into meaningful victories, and have the enthusiasm to talk to hundreds of young people in a day to register them to vote or get them involved. These positions require a determination to hit goals, resourcefulness, and strong management of multiple projects with significant attention to detail.
This position offers tremendous opportunity for leadership, management experience, innovation, and professional development. Lead Organizers will report to New Era’s Organizing Director or Deputy Organizing Director, but will also coordinate with the Lead Organizers on various teams.
You should absolutely (!) throw your hat in the ring if you’re excited by this challenge and ready to work hard.
New Era Colorado is working to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We register and turn out thousands of young voters every year, we work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change, and we train hundreds of young leaders to create change. We’ve registered more than 150,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, won ballot measure campaigns, given out more than 60,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?), made two viral videos (This Is Why We Vote; Campaign for Local Power), and Pod Save America even gave us a shoutout on their podcast! Our team is deeply dedicated to social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo. We truly believe in the power of young people. Get to know us: Our website | Our Facebook.
- Field planning and management l Lead the execution of a large-scale, volunteer-driven voter registration drive and turnout program (including all aspects of voter registration, phone banks, canvasses, and voter guide distribution). Bottom-line and track your team’s progress toward all field goals while consistently identifying new opportunities and avenues in which to register more voters.
- Day-to-day field work l Responsible for executing voter registration and turnout work on college campuses, high schools and at community events. Provide positive and constructive feedback to organizers, volunteers, and interns and ensure that your team will always hit the daily goal.
- Team management l Responsible for fostering an inclusive, empowering and welcoming environment for organizers to thrive in every day. Support and coach individual team members to be successful in their role. Lead Organizers will also facilitate weekly meetings and create the weekly and monthly schedule for organizers. In some cases, Lead Organizers will be responsible for recruiting and hiring organizers, and in some cases, organizers will already be hired by the time the Lead Organizer starts
What we’re looking for:
- Deep commitment to New Era’s mission and to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through and within our organization. A determination to engage young people in tackling the issues facing our generation, including economic and racial justice, climate change, and reproductive justice. A serious passion for increasing young people’s participation in our democracy—especially our elections—is an absolute must.
- Work style that is flexible, respectful, collaborative and nimble; brings a commitment to maintaining a supportive, empowering culture. Positive and solutions-oriented—we need people who can celebrate the great things we have, spot where we can improve, and come up with specific ways to make those changes happen.
- Highly organized individuals, and folks who will take initiative to lead and make improvements, and able to work efficiently and effectively under tight deadlines.
- Some management experience preferred, but not required (can be managing volunteers, interns, or paid staff).
- Willingness to work nontraditional hours on a regular basis & campaign hours during election season.
- A high energy personality and enthusiasm for engaging thousands of young voters face-to-face.
- Reliable transportation and a driver’s license strongly preferred (required for some roles, but not all)
- Preferred, but not required: Previous experience (volunteer or paid) on elections or campaigns or running student organizations; Spanish language skills
Please note: we care more about your desire to do the work than whether you have formal or informal experience. We encourage you to submit your application if this job excites you!
These are full-time positions based out of New Era Colorado’s offices (positions available in Denver, Fort Collins, or Durango) and will be reporting to New Era’s Organizing Director or Deputy Organizing Director. Positions start mid-June and end mid-November.
Salary range is mid 30’s annualized, commensurate with experience. Healthcare (medical and dental, employer pays 75% of the premium) and paid time off contingent upon length of employment. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis, with start dates happening between mid-June and mid-July.
Head over to neweracolorado.org/jobs (or try this link) to fill out the google form application.
These positions will be open until filled and will be removed from our website once filled (if the posting is still up, you can and still should apply!). No phone calls please.
New Era Colorado Foundation and New Era Colorado Action Fund are equal opportunity employers. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.