New Era Colorado Foundation is looking for a new employee to lead our efforts in a coalition project, the mission of which is to promote civic engagement in the African American community. We are seeking a versatile and enthusiastic Outreach Organizer who will be responsible for implementing volunteer recruitment and management, leadership development, voter registration, voter education, and voter mobilization in the African American community, primarily targeting young people between the ages of 16-34. The African American Outreach Organizer will work closely with the Denver Organizing Director and the Program Director and will work within a coalition structure.
The individual must be a dynamic, strong leader, who has either some community organizing or grassroots field experience or is interesting in pursuing a career in grassroots organizing.
- Register African American youth to vote by targeting community events, campuses, high schools, and other youth-dense areas
- Run a voter education and turnout program with the goal of increasing the vote share of young African American voters
- Continually engage the African American community on an ongoing basis on issues and relevant legislation, policy, etc
- Run civic engagement presentations in some high schools in the Denver Metro area
- Lead a structured volunteer recruitment, management, and leadership development program targeting African American youth in the Denver Metro area
- Develop and execute an intern leadership development program which pertains to the local African American community
- Work as a member of a coalition of organizations that incorporate African American organizing as part of their mission
- Assist with creating coalition plans and collaborative projects in the African American community
- Develop, maintain, and coordinate effective relationships between and among relevant statewide African American organizations
- Proven experience in community organizing (voter registration, canvassing, volunteer management) and/or similar program management preferred
- Experience with volunteer recruitment and management preferred
- Experience working effectively in the African American community
- Event coordination & planning experience preferred
- Proven and highly effective organizational and written/oral communication skills
- Strong track record of setting and meeting goals
- A high energy and contagiously fun(ny) personality
- A self-starter who can show strong initiative
- Commitment to the organizational mission in order to effectively promote and advance the goals of New Era Colorado Foundation
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends.
To Apply Please submit a resume, cover letter, one to two paragraph responses to the below questions, and at least 2 references to the attention of Stephen Fenberg to AAOrganizer@neweracolorado.org. New Era Colorado Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Please describe any relevant past experience working on campaigns, voter registration drives, or with civic engagement organizations. Please be specific about what your responsibilities were. If you do not have previous relevant experience, please describe why you are interested in being a community organizer.
What do you think are some of the most effective ways to recruit volunteers and engage young African Americans in the political process?
What do you think would be some of your greatest weaknesses (specific to this job) coming into this position?