New Era Colorado Foundation and New Era Colorado Action Fund are seeking a full-time Advocacy Manager to organize and advance our abortion rights campaign and support campaigns on our priority issues, including economic justice and climate change. This person will develop young leaders to drive innovative campaign work on their campuses, get creative with messaging and developing new, engaging tactics, and play a critical role in translating the momentum New Era builds at the ballot box into meaningful action on the biggest issues facing our generation. In this role, you’ll lead the issue organizing work that we do on campus and in the field, talking with thousands of young people and activating their passions in order to mobilize them to support our work at the legislature, on ballot measures, and other venues as necessary. The Advocacy Manager will work closely with New Era’s Advocacy Director and Deputy Organizing Director to oversee and execute high-impact campaigns, hire, train and manage a team of student organizing fellows on our abortion rights campaign, and implement creative ways to fundamentally shift the way our generation thinks and feels about abortion, empowering young people to speak up and speak out about abortion access, and dismantling shame and stigma in the process. Our ideal candidate is a highly organized and resourceful individual who is passionate about social justice, building power for young people, and especially solidifying our generation’s support for abortion rights.
About New Era Colorado
New Era Colorado is working to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We register and turn out thousands of young voters every year, we work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change, and we train hundreds of young leaders to create change. We’ve registered more than 150,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, given out more than 60,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?), and made two viral videos (This Is Why We Vote; Campaign for Local Power). Our team is deeply dedicated to social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo. We regularly communicate using gifs. Very few of us were cool in high school. We truly believe in the power of young people. Get to know us: Our website | Our Facebook.
- Program planning & strategy | Work with New Era’s Advocacy Director and Deputy Organizing Director, as well as with other staff and volunteers to drive abortion rights campaign priorities and goals, and analyze outcomes to help hone campaign strategy and program development
- Program management and execution | Manage part-time student organizers to execute high-impact campus campaigns to destigmatize abortion and elevate the leadership of young people—particularly young people of color—in the abortion rights movement in Colorado. Bottom-line and track progress towards advocacy and campus organizing goals, assist in monthly reporting requirements.
- Leadership development | Provide student organizing fellows on our abortion rights campaign with a set of skills trainings to build their organizing abilities and help them develop professionally in the nonprofit and political world. Provide feedback, management and coaching to improve confidence and performance, especially by organizing side by side with them on campus and providing ongoing support.
- Partnership development and outreach | Work with partners at other progressive organizations and especially those doing reproductive rights, health and justice organizing to identify areas of collaboration, provide ongoing support, and network to build a stronger movement overall.
- Progressive Organizing and Visibility | Assist in advancing New Era’s larger slate of progressive campaigns through legislative advocacy, ballot measure campaigns, campus work, communications campaigns and more to raise visibility of issues and advocacy priorities in New Era’s electoral work
- Organizational and team leadership and collaboration | Contribute to the advancement of the shared goals of the organization and the field team, collaborating and leading on projects as needed—including collaboration with communications, data and fundraising staff.
What we’re looking for
- Deep commitment to New Era’s mission and to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through and within our organization. A determination to engage young people in tackling the issues facing our generation, including economic and racial justice, climate change, and reproductive justice.
- Passion for increasing participation and leadership among young people of color, and someone who has a commitment to advancing diversity, inclusion, and equity through every aspect of work we do. As we’re working to expand our ability to engage young people of color and to make our own organization equitable and inclusive, we are looking for a candidate who has a strong commitment to these values (including fostering a collaborative and empowering work culture).
- A passion for and experience with engaging people face-to-face on campuses, in the community, through tabling, meetings, and other grassroots tactics. A strong ability to maintain all relationships through clear, professional communications as well as 100% follow-through and responsiveness.
- Strategic, creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills & analytical ability (you’ve got ideas, big and small, for how we can better achieve our goals and you regularly troubleshoot your plans and adjust accordingly).
- Self-starter who shows strong initiative, sets high standards for individual and team performance, and is committed to constantly improving upon every aspect of our work.
- Highly organized (seriously) & detail-oriented, with proven ability to effectively and independently manage projects with many moving parts to produce high-quality results in a timely manner.
- Preferred but not required: Experience managing, training, or organizing people, including staff, volunteers or interns preferred
This is a full-time, permanent position based out of New Era’s Denver office (which is actually a cozy little house), reporting to the Advocacy Director. New Era provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage (with 75% of the premium covered by the employer), a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with a match of up to 3% after 1 year of employment, an annual RTD Ecopass (free public transit!), paid sick and vacation time, a paid sabbatical after 5 continuous years of employment, an annual professional development budget, and enough pizza during election times to make you stop liking pizza for a few months. Salary range is high 30s to mid 40s annualized, commensurate with experience.
Please email your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to email@example.com to the attention of Charley Olena with the subject line “Advocacy Manager Application: Your Name.” In your cover letter, please describe why you want to do this job in particular at New Era, and how you found out about the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No calls please.
New Era Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees & LGBTQ people to apply.
For a PDF version of this job description, click here.