New Era Colorado is seeking an Operations Manager to manage all aspects of our behind-the-scenes systems and daily operations, and to coordinate our financial management processes. We are looking for a highly organized, detail-oriented individual who will proactively pursue opportunities to make us a more efficient, effective, equitable and secure organization and workplace. This person will create, upgrade and manage all of the operational, human resources, and financial management systems and processes that allow us to fulfill our mission of engaging more young people in our democracy to move Colorado forward. Our ideal candidate can create watertight systems, treat confidential information with impeccable judgment, and is comfortable wearing many hats and working with numbers. This is a tremendous opportunity for a self-starter to make a big impact on our work creating social change.
About New Era Colorado
New Era Colorado is working to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We register and turn out thousands of young voters every year, work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change, and train hundreds of young leaders to create change. We’ve registered more than 150,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, given out more than 60,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?,) and made two viral videos (This Is Why We Vote; Campaign for Local Power). Our team is deeply dedicated to social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo. We truly believe in the power of young people. Get to know us: Our website | Our Facebook.
Organizational Administration & Compliance (45%)
- Maximize efficiency and effectiveness with the organization and with our board of directors through logistical, administrative and internal systems management. Ensure that our team has what they need to do their jobs well, including functional office space, equipment, supplies, strong internal communication systems and more.
- Coordinate all information technology and office space logistics, including office moves, maintenance, and setup of satellite offices in major election years, as well as technology needed for programs (phones, etc).
- Further develop and manage all of our internal operational systems so that we’ve got a highly organized foundation, including making sure all contracts and insurance policies are up-to-date and easily accessible, maintaining any additional archival and administrative files, and maintain all state and federal-level compliance.
- Coordinate logistics and scheduling of major organizational events and meetings, including staff retreats (including: can we find an AirBnb with a hot tub or no…), large staff gatherings/trainings, board meetings, etc…Coordinate some staff appreciation initiatives and events.
- As needed, support internal organizational initiatives including our diversity, equity and inclusion work as well as other initiatives/projects as they arise.
Financial Management (30%)
- Manage all coordination and information sharing with New Era’s outside bookkeeper, including compiling and sharing all relevant data and records on a monthly basis; coordinate with a firm to conduct our annual audit
- Manage all internal financial systems (what we use in addition to our professional accounting services), including compiling our monthly cost sharing billing, processing donations, bill pay, compiling reports, and supporting budget drafting and staff members’ budget management processes.
- Ensure that the Executive Director, board of directors (especially the Finance committee) and other New Era staff as needed have the financial reports, analysis and information they need to be effective. Staff the Finance Committee of New Era’s board of directors.
- Manage grant agreements/contracts to ensure compliance with all terms, including for restricted grants
Human Resources (25%)
- Make sure our staff are getting paid accurately and on time and have access to their benefits worry-free, including by running timesheets, payroll and reimbursements, and managing benefits packages
- Further develop and manage our human resources work, enhancing our professional development opportunities, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training and recruiting.
- Manage all hiring process logistics from start to finish, and participate in interviewing and evaluation of candidates as needed and some aspects of employee orientation
- Work with the Executive Director & Board Personnel Chair to make sure we’ve got the best possible (read: most comprehensive, equitable, “be the change we wish to see” type policies) human resources policies, and make sure all staff understand how the processes work through orientation, handbooks, and exit processes
- Maintain employee/contract labor files and process 1099s annually
What we’re looking for
- A strong interest in numbers, efficiency, and orderliness—ideally you get immense satisfaction from taking a million moving pieces and putting them in place, and you see a beauty in efficient systems
- A highly organized (seriously) and detail-oriented individual who shows serious initiative, with the ability to effectively manage and fully own projects with many moving parts to produce high-quality results in a timely manner with 100% follow-through. Excellent planning, prioritization and time management skills and demonstrated ability to think several steps ahead to anticipate and prepare for challenges.
- A self-starter with strong initiative–beyond independently running the systems we have, we need someone who can proactively spot what else needs to be smoother or running better, and create the systems to make it work—including doing the research, teaching yourself new things, etc…
- Positive, solutions-oriented and customer service-oriented—we need people who can see celebrate the great things we have, see the places we can improve, and come up with specific ways to help make those changes happen. You’re excited to make it easy for our staff to do their jobs and view your work as supporting the whole organization and integral to our team’s success.
- Work style that is flexible, respectful, collaborative and nimble; brings a commitment to maintaining a supportive, empowering work culture. Enthusiasm for working with diverse communities and stakeholders.
- Deep commitment to New Era’s mission, to supporting youth leadership, and to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through and within our organization.
- Comfort with spreadsheets and learning new databases, systems and processes (You’ll need to use Quickbooks Online’s basic functions, but we can teach you how!)
Please note: We’ll provide a lot of “on the job” training for the technical aspects of this role. What we care most about is that you’re highly organized, proactive and eager to learn.
This is a full-time, permanent position based out of New Era’s Denver office (which is actually a cozy little house), reporting to the Executive Director. New Era provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage (with 75% of the premium covered by the employer), a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with a match of up to 3% after 1 year of employment, an annual RTD Ecopass (free public transit!), paid sick and vacation time, a 6-week paid sabbatical after 5 continuous years of employment, an annual professional development budget, and enough pizza during election times to make you stop liking pizza for a few months. Salary range is low to mid 40s annualized.
Please submit a resume and cover letter (as a single PDF) to the attention of Lizzy Stephan to OperationsJob@NewEraColorado.org. In your cover letter, please describe why you want to do this job in particular at New Era, and how you found out about the position. This position will be open until filled and will be removed from our website once it is filled (if the posting is still up, you can and should still apply!). No phone calls please.
New Era Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees & LGBTQ people to apply.
For a PDF version of this job description, click here.