We are seeking an Operations Manager to lead our financial systems and manage all aspects of our behind-the-scenes procedures and daily operations. We’re looking for a highly organized, driven leader to play a key role on our team, creating and polishing the processes we need to be an effective workplace and to fulfill our mission of engaging young people in our democracy. In this role, you’ll be responsible for all aspects of financial management, organization-wide administration and human resources. We’re looking for someone who can create watertight systems, treat confidential information with impeccable judgement, and is comfortable working with numbers.
About New Era Colorado
New Era Colorado is working to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We register and turn out thousands of young voters every year, work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change, and train hundreds of young leaders to create change. We’ve registered more than 150,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, given out more than 60,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?,) and made two viral videos (This Is Why We Vote; Campaign for Local Power). Our team is deeply dedicated to social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo. Very few of us were cool in high school. We truly believe in the power of young people. Get to know us: Our website | Our Facebook.
- Manage all aspects of organizational bookkeeping using Quickbooks, including ensuring that revenue is properly recorded, bills are paid on time, and cost sharing billing is executed on a monthly basis
- Prepare monthly financial reports for the Executive Director, and staffing the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors, to make sure they have what they need to be effective
- Coordinate with an outside firm to conduct our annual audit & to file tax returns
- Make sure we have organizational budgets that align with our priorities, and that we’re on track with our spending
- Manage grant agreements/contracts to ensure compliance with all terms, including for restricted grants
Organizational Administration & Compliance
- Make sure that the team has what they need to do their jobs well, including functional office space, equipment and supplies.
- Manage our systems so that we’ve got a rock-solid foundation, including making sure all contracts (including office leases) and insurance policies are up-to-date and easily accessible
- Be point on all travel and logistical planning of staff retreats (including: can we find an AirBnb with a hot tub or no).
- Ensure that all staff and board know and can use the systems they need, including by teaching new members and keeping portals up to date
- Ensure that all state and federal reporting deadlines are met, including state lobbyist reports, state renewals, campaign finance reports, and federal tax returns
- Make sure our staff are getting paid on time and have access to their benefits worry-free, including by running timesheets, payroll and reimbursements, and managing benefits packages
- Work with the Executive Director & Board Personnel Chair to make sure we’ve got the best possible human resources policies for our team, and make sure all staff understand how the processes work through orientation, handbooks, and exit processes
- Maintain employee/contract labor files and process 1099s annually
What we’re looking for
- A strong interest in numbers, efficiency, and orderliness—ideally you get immense satisfaction from taking a million moving pieces and putting them in place, and you see a beauty in efficient systems
- Highly organized (seriously) & detail-oriented, with proven ability to effectively and independently manage projects with many moving parts to produce high-quality results in a timely manner.
- A self-starter with strong initiative – beyond running the systems we have, we need someone who can figure out what else needs to be smoother or running better, and create the systems to make it work
- Previous bookkeeping/accounting experience with Quickbooks (or similar accounting software) andExcel (and/or Google Spreadsheets)
- Positive and solutions-oriented—we need people who can see celebrate the great things we have, see the places we can improve, and come up with specific ways to help make those changes happen
- Work style that is flexible, respectful, collaborative and nimble; brings a commitment to maintaining a supportive, empowering work culture. Enthusiasm for working with diverse communities and stakeholders.
- Passion for New Era’s mission and a commitment to advancing organizational goals.
- Preferred, but not required: Some knowledge of nonprofit legal structures
Please note: What we care most about is that you are driven and eager to learn. If you’ve got some of this but not all of it, we’d still encourage you to submit your application!
This is a full-time, permanent position based out of New Era’s Denver office (which is actually a cozy little house), reporting to the Executive Director. New Era provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage (with 75% of the premium covered by the employer), a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with a match of up to 3% after 1 year of employment, an annual RTD Ecopass (free public transit!), paid sick and vacation time, a 6-week paid sabbatical after 5 continuous years of employment, an annual professional development budget, and enough pizza during election times to make you stop liking pizza for a few months. Salary range is low to high 40s annualized, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a resume and cover letter (as a single PDF) to the attention of Lizzy Stephan to OperationsJob@NewEraColorado.org. In your cover letter, please describe why you want to do this job in particular at New Era, and how you found out about the position. This position will be open until filled, but the priority will be given to applications received by July 7th. No phone calls please.
New Era Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees & LGBTQ people to apply.