NOW HIRING: Development Director
Job Description: Full-time Development Director
Location: Denver, Colorado
Application Deadline: Position will be open until filled
New Era Colorado Foundation and New Era Colorado Action Fund are seeking a full-time Development Director to lead and grow our annual fundraising and donor base. The Development Director will develop and implement our annual fundraising plan, manage foundation funding and donor relationships, and oversee the development department’s operations, including managing New Era’s Development Manager. This position is a member of New Era’s senior leadership team. We are looking for a strong writer and strategic thinker who is passionate about social justice and young people’s ability to create change.
New Era’s revenue development relies on a strong combination of grant-writing and foundation support, individual donors, a robust monthly membership program, business revenue, and small-dollar donations—raised through numerous events throughout the year, as well as a few mailers and online fundraising campaigns. Our ideal candidate is excited to dig in to raise the resources we need to keep fighting and growing our impact, and has some previous fundraising experience. This position requires a determination to hit goals, resourcefulness, and strong management of multiple projects with significant attention to detail.
About New Era Colorado
New Era Colorado is an innovative nonprofit organization that works to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We have three core program areas: civic engagement, advocacy, and leadership development. We register and turn out thousands of young voters every year, work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change at the state and local level, and train hundreds of young leaders to create change. Since our founding, we’ve registered more than 150,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, and given out probably more than 60,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?). And along the way, we got more than a million views on our Campaign for Local Power video, another million on our This Is Why We Vote video (which was featured on Upworthy), we got named “Campaign of the Year” by New Organizing Institute in 2013, and our volunteers and interns taught us how to make Where’s Waldo costumes on the cheap for voter registration. Get to know us: Our website | Our Facebook.
Professional Development + New Era’s team
This position is a leadership role on New Era’s senior team, and offers extensive opportunities for growth, advanced management experience, innovation and professional development on an incredibly supportive team. Professional development opportunities include advanced trainings, an annual professional development budget, and learn-by-doing skills building. Our team is incredibly dedicated to creating social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo. Very few of us were cool in high school. We deeply believe that young people can create and accelerate social change. We want you, yes, you, to apply!
Department Planning & Management
- Develop, manage, and implement a strategic annual fundraising plan and development budget to maximize our fundraising efforts
- Develop calendars and action plans for various fundraising streams and goals
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that fundraising goals are being achieved
- Manage our Development Manager, who executes portions of the annual fundraising plan, working to cultivate this individual’s skills and grow in the role
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop annual fundraising pitches and key messages. Use the top pitches to drive the development of supporting narratives, research, and materials.
- Manage and prioritize the Executive Director’s time spent on fundraising efforts such as major donor cultivation, stakeholder outreach, etc.
- Manage the Executive Director’s relationships with individual donors, key foundation contacts, and institutional donors through ongoing planning, positioning and thorough record keeping
- Oversee and further development all development systems, including our donor database, to support effective department operation
- Direct the development of online & printed promotional materials, such as New Era’s annual report
- Continuously build new relationships with community stakeholders and connectors to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization
Foundations & Grants
- Own all aspects of grant writing and reporting efforts, including the development of supportive materials
- Direct research on foundation prospects conducted by the Development Manager and/or interns
- Maintain relationships with current foundation grantors while cultivating relationships with prospective foundations and program officers
- Develop the strategy for our asks, and ensure that we’re always presenting a fresh, compelling, well-supported case for investment in our work
- Provide direction and work collaboratively with staff and board members on a coordinated donor strategy to build and enhance relationships with established and prospective donors in order to maximize funding
- Support the Executive Director’s direct solicitation of gifts with donor context, supportive materials, etc…
- Work closely with the Development Manager to plan, manage and execute New Era events aimed at raising major gifts, including but not limited to an annual fundraising event and house parties
- Manage the maintenance of detailed records of all former, current, and prospective donors in the organization’s database, including solicitations and communications
- Direct all donor acknowledgement, including drafting and generating thank you letters & materials
Here’s a list of knowledge/skills/qualities that our ideal candidate would possess:
- Strong written communication and editing skills, and an ability to write and produce content for a wide variety of audiences (formal and informal) in accordance with our organization’s voice; able to wear a variety of different writing “hats,” when writing pieces such as, but not limited to: grant proposals, compelling fundraising emails and lively and humorous event pitches.
- Strategic, creative thinker with strong proactive problem-solving skills & analytical ability to continuously assess and enhance the effectiveness of our goals, tactics and plans.
- Previous fundraising and/or political experience; minimum of 1-3 years of previous fundraising experience at a nonprofit or political campaign or 2-3 years of political or progressive non-profit experience.
- Highly organized (seriously) & detail-oriented, with proven ability to effectively and thoroughly manage projects with many moving parts to produce high-quality results in a timely manner.The ideal candidate is able to develop internal systems to keep development projects and the development team organized.
- Passion for New Era’s mission and a commitment to advancing organizational goals.
- Work style that is flexible, respectful, collaborative and nimble; brings a commitment to maintaining a supportive, empowering work culture. Enthusiasm for working with diverse communities and stakeholders.
- Experience managing people, especially staff (but management of interns or volunteers is also experience we value), with a proven track record of communicating effectively and maintaining positive working relationships with those managed.
- (Preferred, but not required) Knowledge of Colorado politics and the progressive nonprofit infrastructure. The ideal candidate is familiar with the Colorado political landscape and progressive nonprofit infrastructure, and already has relationships with key stakeholders in this sphere.
This is a full-time, permanent position based out of New Era’s Denver office (which is actually a cozy little house), reporting to the Executive Director. New Era provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage (with 75% of the premium covered by the employer), an annual RTD Ecopass (free public transit!), paid sick and vacation time, an annual professional development budget, and lots of pizza during election times. Salary range is $46,000-$52,000 annualized, commensurate with experience.
New Era Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees and LGBTQ people to apply.
Please submit a resume and cover letter (as a single PDF) to the attention of Lizzy Stephan to developmentjob@NewEraColorado.org. In your cover letter, please describe why you want to do this job in particular at New Era, and how you found out about the position. This position will be open until filled (and we are still accepting applications if this post is still live). No phone calls please.