NOW HIRING: Denver Organizing Manager
New Era Colorado Foundation and New Era Colorado Action Fund are seeking a full-time Denver Organizing Manager to lead the young voter engagement, leadership development, and grassroots issue campaign work in our Denver office. We are looking for a committed and resourceful individual who is passionate about social justice and young people’s ability to create change.
This position is charged with recruiting, training, and engaging young people in our organizing efforts during elections, on college campuses, in the legislature, and at the ballot box. The Denver Organizing Manager will spearhead all of our young voter registration and turnout efforts in Denver, and will play a key role on our field team in crafting and executing our issue campaigns (with a focus on student debt, economic justice, and climate change). This person will manage spring, summer and fall classes of 6-10 leadership development program participants, build relationships throughout the Denver area with partner organizations and campuses, and in 2018 will run a large young voter mobilization program in the metro area, managing a team of organizers and playing a key leadership role in our statewide program. Overall, the Denver Organizing Manager is a core member of our team with significant leadership in driving our work in the city.
This is a crucial moment for today’s young people, who are members of the largest, most diverse, most progressive generation in history. There is power in our generation, and together we need to use it to win progress on the issues impacting us. That’s why our ideal candidate is passionate about mobilizing young people to advance progressive issues, has experience working with diverse and underrepresented communities, is enthusiastic about building political power for young people and translating that power into meaningful victories, and has the enthusiasm to talk to hundreds of young people in a day to register them to vote or get them involved. This position requires a determination to hit goals, resourcefulness, and strong management of multiple projects with significant attention to detail.
You should absolutely (!) throw your hat in the ring if you’re excited by this challenge and ready to work hard.
About New Era
New Era is an innovative nonprofit organization that works to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We have three core program areas: civic engagement, advocacy, and leadership development. We register and turn out thousands of young voters every year, work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change at the state and local level, and train hundreds of young leaders to create change. Since our founding, we’ve registered more than 150,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, and given out probably more than 50,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?). And along the way, we got more than a million views on our Campaign for Local Power video, another million on our This Is Why We Vote video (which was featured on Upworthy), we got named “Campaign of the Year” by New Organizing Institute in 2013, and our volunteers and interns taught us how to make Where’s Waldo costumes on the cheap for voter registration. Get to know us: Website | Facebook
Professional Development + New Era’s team
This position offers extensive opportunities for leadership, management experience, program planning, innovation and professional development on an incredibly supportive team. Professional development opportunities include advanced trainings and learn-by-doing skills building in areas including management, field organizing, volunteer management, campaign strategy, and more. Our team is incredibly dedicated to creating social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo. Very few of us were cool in high school. We deeply believe that young people can create and accelerate social change. We really, really want you, yes, you, to apply!
- Lead all aspects of New Era’s voter engagement and leadership development work in Denver, including program planning and execution.
- Collaborate with New Era’s program staff to develop and drive priority issue campaigns forward. Responsible for meeting all relevant goals, objectives and priorities in Denver.
- Recruit, train and manage young people enrolled in our spring, summer and fall leadership development programs, working closely with the Boulder Program Manager and Organizing Director to continue to develop and improve the program.
- Maintain a regular presence at college campuses, community events and festivals.
- Lead all aspects of Denver’s volunteer program (including goal-setting, recruitment, management and plugging volunteers into leadership opportunities).
- Lead the execution of large-scale, volunteer-driven voter registration drives and turnout programs targeting young voters in Denver (including all aspects of voter registration, phone banks, canvasses, voter guide distribution, etc). This includes hiring and managing a team of 3-6 organizers in 2018.
- Lead all grassroots lobbying activities in Denver, and engage interns and volunteers in Colorado’s legislative session through delivering testimony, attending committee hearings, and lobbying.
- Pitch in for “all hands on deck” efforts and other areas of the organization occasionally—including (but not limited to!) the Boulder program, our high school voter registration work, and fundraising efforts.
Here’s a list of knowledge/skills/qualities that our ideal candidate would possess:
- Deep commitment to New Era’s mission and a determination to tackle the issues facing our generation, including economic and racial justice, climate change, election access, and reproductive justice.
- Strategic, creative thinker with strong problem solving skills & analytical ability (You’ve got ideas for how we can better achieve our goals, you regularly troubleshoot your plans and adjust accordingly).
- Self-starter who shows strong initiative in making improvements to our work, sets high standards for individual and team performance, and is committed to constant improvement of yourself and the organization.
- Highly organized (seriously) and able to work efficiently and effectively under tight deadlines.
- Ability to bring a strong lens on equity and inclusion to the work, including demonstrated success working effectively within underrepresented communities.
- Strong communication skills and a passion for and experience with engaging young people face-to-face.
- Ability and willingness to work nontraditional hours, including evenings and weekends as needed.
- Work style that is flexible, respectful and collaborative, and commitment to maintaining a supportive, empowering work culture.
- Experience managing, training, or organizing people preferred but not required (including staff, volunteers, or interns)
- Reliable transportation and a driver’s license strongly preferred.
- Spanish language skills are preferred, but not required.
Please note: we care more about your talent, desire to do the work, and your drive and ability to improve every day than whether you have formal or informal experience. We do not require formal education experience. We encourage you to submit your application if this job excites you!
This is a full-time, permanent position based out of New Era’s Denver office (which is actually a cozy little house), reporting to the Organizing Director. New Era provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage (with 75% of the premium covered by the employer), an annual RTD Ecopass (free public transit!), paid sick and vacation time, a professional development budget, and lots of pizza during election times. Salary range is $34,000 to $36,000 annualized, commensurate with experience.
New Era Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees and LGBTQ people to apply.
Please submit a resume and cover letter (as a single PDF) to the attention of Molly Fitzpatrick to DenverManagerJob@NewEraColorado.org. In your cover letter, please describe why you want to do this job in particular at New Era, and how you found out about the position.
Priority deadline is February 21, but the position will be open until filled. No phone calls please.