New Era Colorado Foundation and New Era Colorado Action Fund are seeking a full-time Advocacy Manager to advance advocacy programs and campaigns on our priority issues. This person will spearhead our on- and off-campus field organizing efforts, with a particular focus on abortion rights, but including work on student debt and higher education, economic justice, and climate change as well. Our Advocacy Manager will play an important role in helping New Era sustain the momentum we helped young voters build at the ballot box in 2016, and to translate that momentum into meaningful advocacy work on critical issues facing our generation.
We’re seeking a committed and resourceful individual who is passionate about social justice to manage the implementation and execution of New Era’s advocacy work, including campus and field organizing efforts, our work at the legislature, on ballot measures, and other venues as necessary. The Advocacy Manager will work closely with New Era’s Advocacy Director, Organizing Director and Denver/Boulder Program Managers to oversee and execute creative, high-impact campaigns, train young people to tell their stories to our elected officials, manage a team of student organizers on our abortion rights campaign, and implement creative ways for New Era and our base to win on our priority issues in Colorado. This person will be bottom-line on making sure we hit ambitious campaign goals, tracking progress and evaluating the impact of different tactics to help shape our work moving forward.
This is a crucial moment for today’s young people, who are members of the largest, most diverse, most progressive generation in history. There is power in our generation, and together we need to use it to win progress on the issues impacting us. Our Advocacy Manager will play a key role in our work in this context, which is why our ideal candidate is passionate about mobilizing young people to advance progressive issues, enthusiastic about building political power for young people and translating that power into meaningful victories, and can manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail.
About New Era:
New Era is an innovative nonprofit organization that works to reinvent politics for young people, mobilizing and empowering a new generation to participate in our democracy to make Colorado a better place for everyone. We have three core program areas: civic engagement, advocacy, and leadership development. We register and turn out thousands of young voters every year, work on issues like election access, economic justice, abortion rights and climate change at the state and local level, and train hundreds of young leaders to create change. Since our founding, we’ve registered more than 150,000 young voters, passed policies like online voter registration, and given out probably more than 50,000+ buttons that say “Vote, F*cker” on them (good, right?). And along the way, we got more than a million views on our Campaign for Local Power video, our This Is Why We Vote video was featured on Upworthy, we got named “Campaign of the Year” by New Organizing Institute in 2013, and our volunteers and interns taught us how to make Where’s Waldo costumes on the cheap for voter registration. Get to know us: Website | Facebook
Professional Development + New Era’s team
This position offers extensive opportunities for leadership, management experience, program planning, innovation and professional development on an incredibly supportive team. Professional development opportunities include extensive chances for advanced trainings and experience in skills like management, field organizing, communications, messaging and campaign strategy, lobbying and more. Our team is very supportive, incredibly dedicated to creating social change, and takes the work very seriously—but not ourselves. We’ll never miss an opportunity to get a zoomed-in screenshot of you making a weird face in a group photo. Very few of us were cool in high school. We deeply believe that young people can create and accelerate social change. We really, really want you, yes, you, to apply!
Key job activities and responsibilities:
- Work closely with New Era’s Advocacy Director, staff and volunteers on an ongoing basis to drive campaign priorities and goals in the field and evaluate campaign strategy
- Advance New Era’s abortion rights work, in particular, through high-impact campus organizing, and manage student organizers to build the campaign
- Advance a coherent “youth agenda” of progressive policies through legislative advocacy, ballot measure campaigns, campus work, communications campaigns and more to raise visibility of issues and advocacy priorities in New Era’s 2018 electoral work
- Recruit, train and organize volunteers to collaborate with us and enhance our field work
- Bottom-line and track progress towards advocacy and campus organizing goals, assist in monthly reporting requirements
- Occasionally compile research and track additional organizing, media and advocacy opportunities through which to elevate New Era’s work and expand our advocacy program
- Assist in and support other areas of the organization, including New Era’s leadership development program, fundraising and civic engagement work as they relate to advocacy
Here’s a list of knowledge/skills/qualities that our ideal candidate would possess:
- Deep commitment to New Era’s mission and a determination to tackle the issues facing our generation, including economic and racial justice, climate change, election access, and reproductive justice
- Strategic, creative thinker with strong problem solving skills & analytical ability
- Self-starter who shows strong initiative, sets high standards for individual and team performance, and is committed to constantly improving upon every aspect of our work
- Highly organized (seriously) and able to work efficiently and effectively under tight deadlines
- Ability to bring a strong lens on equity and inclusion to the work, including demonstrated success working effectively within underrepresented communities
- Strong communication skills and a passion for and experience with engaging young people face-to-face
- Ability and willingness to work nontraditional hours, including evenings and weekends as needed
- Work style that is flexible, respectful and collaborative, and commitment to maintaining a supportive, empowering work culture
- Experience managing, training, or organizing people, including staff, volunteers or interns preferred
- Reliable transportation and a driver’s license strongly preferred
- Spanish language skills are preferred, but not required
Please note: we care more about your talent, desire to do the work, and your drive and ability to improve every day than whether you have formal or informal experience. We do not require formal education experience. We encourage you to submit your application if this job excites you!
This is a full-time, permanent position based out of New Era’s Denver office (which is actually a cozy little house), reporting to the Advocacy Director. The position requires frequent travel to our Boulder office and campuses. New Era provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage (with 75% of the premium covered by the employer), an annual RTD Ecopass (free public transit!), paid sick and vacation time, and lots of pizza during election times. Salary range is $34,000 to $36,000 annualized, commensurate with experience.
New Era Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees and LGBTQ people to apply.
Please email your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to email@example.com to the attention of Charley Olena with the subject line “Advocacy Manager Application: Your Name.” In your cover letter, please describe why you want to do this job in particular at New Era, and how you found out about the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Priority deadline is January 11th, but the position will be open until filled. No calls please.