We’ve been hearing all this talk about the job numbers and felt like, “Hey that sounds like fun. Let’s hire some people, too!”
Here’s what we’re still hiring for at the moment:
Title: African American Outreach Organizer
Location: New Era Colorado Foundation Denver Office
Reports To: Program Director
New Era Colorado Foundation is an innovative vehicle for hands-on democracy. We engage, educate, and train a new generation of active citizens and young leaders in Colorado.
New Era Colorado Foundation is excited to participate in a new coalition project, the mission of which is to promote civic engagement in the African American community. We are seeking a versatile and enthusiastic Outreach Organizer who will be responsible for implementing volunteer recruitment and management, voter registration, voter education, and voter mobilization in the African American community, primarily targeting young people between the ages of 17-34.
The individual must be a dynamic, strong leader, who has some community organizing or field experience. The individual will have dual responsibility to New Era Colorado Foundation and a larger coalition of organizations.
- Work with a coalition of organizations that incorporate African American organizing as part of their mission
- Develop and implement a coalition plan while working closely with the Program Director
- Set up a structured volunteer recruitment, management, and leadership development program targeting African American youth
- Develop, maintain, and coordinate effective relationships between and among relevant statewide African American organizations
- Register African American youth to vote by targeting community events, campuses, high schools, and other youth-dense areas
- Run a large-scale voter education and turnout program targeting African American youth
- Proven experience in community organizing and/or similar program management preferred
- Some electoral field experience (door-to-door canvassing, site-based canvassing, phone banking, voter registration, etc) preferred
- Experience with volunteer recruitment and management preferred
- Experience working effectively in the African American community
- Event coordination & planning experience preferred
- Proven and highly effective organizational and written/oral communication skills
- Strong track record of setting and meeting goals
- A high energy and contagiously fun(ny) personality
- A self-starter that can show strong initiative
- Commitment to the organizational mission in order to effectively promote and advance the goals of New Era Colorado Foundation
Please submit a resume, cover letter, responses to the below questions, and 3 references to the attention of Stephen Fenberg to AAOrganizerjob@neweracolorado.org. New Era Colorado Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Please describe any relevant past experience working on campaigns, voter registration drives, or with civic engagement organizations. Please be specific about what your responsibilities were.
What do you think are some of the most effective ways to recruit volunteers and engage young African Americans in the political process?
What do you think would be some of your greatest weaknesses (specific to this job) coming into this position?